This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Quick Patch overwrites unexpected things

3 replies to this topic

AlanP

AlanP
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 16:38

Hi,

We recently tried using the Quick Patch feature (we are still using IS DEV 8). The patch was to overwrite one exe in our install with a different exe. I noticed three things:

- the patch took nearly as long to run as our original install, which suprised me (our original install has > 50 components and 5 or 6 non-trivial merge modules)
- the default Registry keys we shipped with the original install overwrote the one that the original install had placed (eg the one that took data from the IS UI sequence and applied it to the registry)
- ditto with the INI file we ship for our application (end-user choices from the UI sequence were overwritten with our default "blank" INI file that shipped with the original install).

Can anyone advise me what is going on here? All I wanted was a "tidy" way to overwrite an EXE....

Alan Pinder alanp@NOSPAMaxsys.co.uk

Alan M. Pinder[br]alanp@computer.org

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:43

Please check this link: http://forum.install...showtopic=10269 for a possible explanation of the reset values.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:44

Note that the patch may be installed faster if you exclude features that don't need updating from the REINSTALL list of features to be reinstalled.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:56

Also MSI 3 should improve this a lot.