This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing a file from previous installation

1 reply to this topic

dturpin

dturpin
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 16:58

hello,

I am kind of at a loss here, I've been fighting with Installshield over this issue and i'm not sure i'm trying to handle it correctly.

We have a package version with a given file currently deployed at customer sites.

A upgrade of the software will be made available, and said file is no longer part of the installation package.

I've found no mecanism within IShield to allow a "clean" removal of a file previously installed that is no longer needed.

I have deleted the file from the component and tried to add an entry to the RemoveFile table.

Now I'm faced with two problems :

1 - The IShield build always reports an error stating that the file was removed from the setup and no entry can be found in the RemoveFile table

2 - I've followed instructions found all over the web for RemoveFile entries, added what I think is ok, but the file is never removed, even during uninstallation.

Our goal is to provide this new release as an upgrade, so removal of the file should ultimately be done via upgrade; My understanding is that the RemoveFile table is only invoked on Uninstall and Install scenarios.

Please help me on this, I cannot believe there isn't any easy way within Installshield to tag a file from a previous installation to be removed!

We are using IShield 12, Basic MSI project

thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 15:25

Did you remove the file from a component, but the component is still in the ne version? Or did you remove a whole component?

Based on the InstallShield warning I suspect that your RemoveFile table entry is somehow incorrect. Could you post it here? Also please open the MSI file in Orca to see if the RemoveFile entry is actually built into the msi. You should also validate the msi file to see if the table refewrences are correct.