This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component Wizard Vs Self-Registration

1 reply to this topic

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 17:11

Hello,
When running a component through the ISWI 2.01 component wizard it extracts a certain amout of COM information. However it does not extract all COM information. E.g. if I use regsvr32 to register a particular dll, it adds a lot more extra information to the registry. This extra information is necessary for our app to function correctly.

I am using registry monitoring tools to monitor the differences between the two methods and then including this extra information into my project.

My question is why does the Component Wizard only extract certain information from the dll/exe/ocx?
What is the difference between what the component wizard is doing and what regsvr32 is doing?

I understand the reasons behind using the Component wizard to extract the information but why doesn't it extract ALL the information?

thanks a lot,
David

Kelly Lawson

Kelly Lawson
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 22:48

This isn't an answer to your question, but I have seen the same problem.  If I mark a component's registration field as "Extract at Build" (which I think is the same as using the component wizard), a lot of information is missed.  When our app then tries to load that dll, Windows Installer starts up and tries to install itself, which accomplishes nothing.  The only way to fix the problem is to run regsvr32 (or manually add the extra registry information to the install package).  I would also like to now why the Extract at Build setting doesn't seem to work.