This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ISSetupFilesExtract fails after upgrading to 2013

7 replies to this topic

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:11

Hi, I recently upgraded an installer built with IS 2010 to 2013. On all but one of our customer sites the install works fine, but on this one customer it fails at the ISSetupFilesExtract action. Below is a section from the log file: Action start 10:29:16: ISSetupFilesExtract. MSI © (40:D4) [10:29:16:873]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\DOCUME~1\cbe\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSID.tmp, Entrypoint: SFStartupEx MSI © (40:E0) [10:29:16:883]: Cloaking enabled. MSI © (40:E0) [10:29:16:883]: Attempting to enable all disabled priveleges before calling Install on Server MSI © (40:E0) [10:29:16:883]: Connected to service for CA interface. 1: Starting to extract setup files 1: Getting SUPPORTDIR property : 1: Extracting SetupFiles to: C:\DOCUME~1\cbe\LOCALS~1\Temp\{5690C385-3C06-4468-B8CB-332ED560E287} 1: Getting ISSetupFile table view 1: Executing ISSetupFile table view 1: Extracting Setup File: 1: C:\DOCUME~1\cbe\LOCALS~1\Temp\{5690C385-3C06-4468-B8CB-332ED560E287}\iris_bo.exe 1: Extracting Setup File: 1: C:\DOCUME~1\cbe\LOCALS~1\Temp\{5690C385-3C06-4468-B8CB-332ED560E287}\MsiZap.exe MSI © (40:D4) [10:29:18:095]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (7) of type 790540 for thread 172 MSI © (40:D4) [10:29:18:095]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (5) of type 790541 for thread 172 MSI © (40:D4) [10:29:18:095]: Note: 1: 2769 2: ISSetupFilesExtract 3: 2 Info 2769.Custom Action ISSetupFilesExtract did not close 2 MSIHANDLEs. Action ended 10:29:18: ISSetupFilesExtract. Return value 3. MSI © (40:48) [10:29:18:095]: Doing action: SetupCompleteError We have checked disk space and there is plenty. We have checked privileges and they are fine. We have run chkdisk, re-downloaded the setup.exe, compared the file sizes, etc. Everything looks in order, yet it keeps failing at the action. Is there any solution to this? Anything that I am missing to check? Regards, Shawn

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:25

Why on earth are you extracting MsiZap.exe? If you are using this to zap an existing installation your setup is so dangerous that it will certainly be facing shutdown along the lines of what the log shows. What exactly are you doing?

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:03

I realize that the inclusion of msizap is unorthodox, but we needed to clean up the MSI data in the registry for an older version of our product with out actually removing the folder structure. At the time, this was the only method I could think of. The installers are strictly under the control of our company. These installers are never handed over to our customers to allow them to upgrade their software. We maintain a very controlled software release process for our customers. That said, I went back to compiling the setup.exe with IS 2010 and it installed fine on this one system. Built with IS 2013, it does not work. Now if you could shed some light as to why the ISSetupFilesExtract action would fail when built with IS 2013 and not with IS 2010, I'd like to hear it. Thanks...

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 17:24

MsiZap is not reliable in newer versions of Windows. It is very likely the culprit of the problem you are seeing as it may cause strange errors that are hard to predict and affect the whole system or its ability to install via Windows Installer at all.

I know you will likely try to keep this "solution", but I will have to refrain from answering any follow-up questions on this tool since I am very much against its use in the first place. The only sane solution is to remove this tool and rebuild your setup to see if the problem disappears. Test on a clean system.

Common Installshield runtime errors are described here: http://consumer.installshield.com. It might be a known bug too: https://community.fl...zard-Interupted

The leaked handles relate to problems with the table and view for the database. A simple quick test could be to do a "Save As..." on the MSI database and then compile a new build. A "save as" operation will write all streams in sequence, and could hence fix any corruption in the original MSI file, but I doubt it. It sort of just defragments the MSI file (or ISM as Installshield calls them - they are really MSI formatted files).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 27 June 2014 - 17:36.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:53

Try running Process Monitor (from Microsoft SysInternals) to get more information about the problem. It might no be with MsiZap but with the next setup file it's trying to extract. Anti virus blocking the extraction? You say it's failing only on one nachine, so it  may not be InstallShield 2013's fault but something special on that machine, or a combination of both.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:06

Stefan, Thank you for your input and I agree that due to it happening on only one system out of many, it is most likely something on the target system, but after checking the usual stuff such as disk space and permissions, I could not isolate any reason on the system for this behavior. I did not think of ProcMon, but this is a good suggestion. However, we managed to get around this issue by rebuilding the installer with 2010. (hence my thought that it is related to 2013 and I have also seen posts in other forums of others seeing the same problem.) For now, I'll have to wait to see if I can reproduce this on another system.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 21:07

I am going to try to mention a few "under the hood" type of fixes for this issue. I provide no guarantees for this, try at your own risk. You need a solid backup before you try any of this.

• You can probably "fix" the problem by deleting all support view files and re-add them. This may yield several broken file paths though. I can't recall exactly, and I don't have Installshield available at the moment.
  • You could also open the ISM file with Orca and delete the content from the ISSetupFile table directly. When re-adding files to the support view using Installshield afterwards it should re-generate the ISSetupFile table.  I have seen some really strange errors at times relating to ISM files that have been through upgrading. The _Validation table has played a role in some of them.
  • For problematic ISM files I have used Orca to delete several Installshield specific tables and then have them re-created by opening the file in the newest version of Installshield.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:53

Stein, Thank you for your suggestions. As I do not need the MsiZap utility any more my plan is to remove that from my future releases of the installer. If I still experience the same issue with IS 2013, I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Regards, Shawn