This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Help..........Help Please

3 replies to this topic

JNG

JNG
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 19:47

Please help..............!
I couldn't find out the way to get rib of the error message when I used MSDE merge module in my project.  In my project I used:
                       1. SHARED.MSM
                       2. SQLBASE.MSM
                       3. SQLSVR.MSM
                       4. SQLSVR_RES.MSM
                       5. TOOLS.MSM
                       6. TOOLS_RES.MSM
When I install my project, right at the end of the installation, I got an error "Steup failed to configure the server.  Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information".  I looked at the error log, it mentions that the Service Control Manager requested a stop....   Please help!  

Thank you very much.

Josh Luth

Josh Luth
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 15:22

I'm having the exact same problem. If you come up with anything please let me know.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 11:03

Using the MSDE merge modules is really a pain. With the following infos you should get it to work:

1. Don't use the original MSMs from SQL server 2000 CD. They got a whole bunch of errors and are unusable.
2. With a bit of extra-work you can use the MSMs from Microsofts November 2000 Refresh-CD for SQL server 2000. There is especially one bug in Sqlsvr.msm, solution in MS Knowledgebase Q295193. Another error leads to a total file count number in Media table to be one to low.
3. Best solution: Use the new MSMs from "SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 1 Desktop (English)" (documented in installsites Bugs in MSMs section
4. You have to include nearly all MSDE MSMs to get it to work. The only exceptions are:
- DMO.MSM and DMO_RES.MSM (only needed if you want Distributed Management Objects to be installed)
- REPL.MSM and REPL_RES.MSM (only needed if you want Replication abilities to be installed)
But it's good idea to include all, especially DMO helps a lot to configure MSDE after installation via scripting.
5. Further info can be found in http://www.installsi...stomizeMSDE2000.

Hope this helps

JNG

JNG
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 17:55

Josh Luth,
To get rib of the "configure error", you have to use three more merge modules.  The following are merge modules you need to add to you project;
                1. CONNECT.MSM
                2. DEV_SCM.MSM
                3. UPGRADE.MSM
Try it!  It worked fro me...........Good luck!