This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallScript MSI Project

8 replies to this topic

Vincent

Vincent
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:50

Hello

I'm analyzing the advantages and the drawbacks between the three kinds of projects available in InstallShield 11.5
Currently, our firm has lots of applications to deploy, and they were all designed with InstallScript Projects. My aim is to migrate these applications from InstallShield 6.5 to InstallShield 11.5, and I'd like to know which are the advantages and the drawbacks of the kinds of projects. I saw InstallScript MSI Projects were often avoided, but I'd like to know why.
As given Basic MSI Projects are more and more used by firms, I'd like to know whether it would be an error from me to let the applications in InstallScript, but I think the firm would like to migrate to MSI Projects.
In these applications there are some specific functions, and I don't know how they could be adpated in a Basic MSI Project. So I wonder whether I couldn't create some DLLs which will be included in my Basic MSI Project.
Or maybe I could create InstallScript MSI Projects, so that I won't need to design again all the scripting. I'm using Orca to edit MSI files, but I don't see where are located the DLLs needed for the application.
Thanks for your help. It's rather urgent actually.
PS : I'm sorry if I made some mistakes in this post, but I'm French. biggrin.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:43

Why do you need to migrate to MSI? If InstallScript is doing what you need you could continue using (pure) InstalLScript projects.
Combining two instalaltion technologies often results in badly designed setups, and also frquently breaks on your customer machines. Also there are some design limitations for InstallScript MSI. Most importantly you need to launch it via setup.exe so you cannot deploy it via Group Policy as you could with a "Basic MSI" project. If deployment enhancements is a reason for your migration to MSI then InstallScript MSI will void it.

Note that even in a Basic MSI project you can still call InstallScript functions as custom actions, although a DLL would be leaner and more robust. If you want to use InstallScript custom actions I highly recommend upgrading to IS 12 as this type of action should be much more robust in version 12.

If you list the tasks that you don't know how to do in Basic MSI maybe we can give some hints how they can be accomplished.

kgiloo

kgiloo
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 14:36

The need for MSI is obvious when you need some administrative/silent/customizable installs and this is what I believed when migrating from IS6 to IS12.
I built an MSI file from my pure IS script and realized that it is of no use!
Would I ever find somewhere an example/any sample of a pure IS Script which has been redesigned with IS12 to meet all the MSI capabilities?
I need some help. Thx.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:54

The need for MSI is obvious when you need some administrative/silent/customizable installs
Yes, but "InstallScript MSI" setups are not easily deployable (using Group Policy for instance) because they must be started using setup.exe. "Basic MSI" projects can be launched directly from the .msi file which makes them much more useful in deployments scenarios.

Would I ever find somewhere an example/any sample of a pure IS Script which has been redesigned with IS12 to meet all the MSI capabilities?
You need to start from scratch, add the files and any logic as needed. The architecture of MSI is so different from InstallScript that there's basically nothing that you can re-use or convert. I would recommend the followin steps:
1. write down the requirements for your setup. What files should it copy, which test and custom logic is required. You may be able to take this information from your InstallScript project.
2. Forget about InstallScript, think MSI, and start developing a Basic MSI setup that meets your requirements.

kgiloo

kgiloo
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:04

Thanx for your reply Stefan,
I guess there's a huge amount of work for me now... ohmy.gif
In my hands there's the "Macrovision Training - Learning MSI Projects Using InstallShield". Do you think it's a good reference book?

Where may I find some good samples about custom basic msi projects?

RikRak

RikRak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 16:34

Forget about InstallScript, think MSI, and start developing a Basic MSI setup that meets your requirements.

Is it possible to start developing a Basic MSI project and then convert it to Installscript MSI if required?

Rik

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 21:36

Yes I think that's possible (but I'm not sure) - but don't do it. You can use InstallScript in a custom action in Basic MSI however.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 23:34

Please don't convert to Installscript MSI, you will create a world of pain for yourself and others. Here is more details: http://forum.install...?showtopic=8734
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:31

The only real value added for Installscript MSI is the fact that the GUI is more flexibile, but even this is buggy.

Installscript MSI should never have seen the light of day. Plain and simple.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul