This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MS-DOS Executable

3 replies to this topic

finding_this_difficult

finding_this_difficult
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 16:21

I have a question about running an executable in ms-dos and needing to pass in text to the program. The text is going to be the same during every install, but I cannot find a way to automate this so the user doesn't have to enter any text.
If anyone knows a way to do this that would be great.

Thanks,
A

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:00

Can you please elaborate? Are you launching this executable as a custom action, or from a batch file? Can you pass the text on the command line?

finding_this_difficult

finding_this_difficult
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 19:50

Yes, sorry, I was being pretty vague.

I am calling the exe by a CustomAction (the exe is installed by the installer). A MS-DOS window opens up and prompts the user for input. There are 4 inputs that the user must pass, and they are the same for everyone, so I was hoping to automate this step.

I have tried with no success:
1. A Custom Action that calls a batch file calling the exe and using file direction (<) to pass input into the exe.
2. Running in LaunchAppAndWait
3. I have even tried to use SendMessage, but I cannot find any documentation to send Text... I can send Minimize and Maximize commands as done in the InstallShield example.

I am hoping there is a way to send text to a command window (exe) that will be run by a custom action or something in InstallShield

Thanks,
A

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 23:52

With Internet Explorer 5 came some scripting functions, allowing you to communicate with console programs.
Create a VBScript custom action (I believe that COM support in InstallScript is too poor), inside the script get a WshShell object, then call its Exec method. This method returns an object allowing your script to communicate with the program.
For an example, more info etc. see
http://msdn.microsof...dinproperty.asp