This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

upgrading with msi throwing error

10 replies to this topic

tishamol

tishamol
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:34

Hi,
I installed my application setup.exe.Now am trying to upgrade it via .msi.
But it is throwing an error( 1638:Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel).

But using setup.exe am able to upgrade my application.

Similarly if installed using .msi the application is succesfully upgraded using .msi and .exe.

What may be the problem in this??

Regards
Smitha

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:25

If you don't change the ProductCode this is a Minor Update. For this to install you need to launch the msi with command line parameters REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

Alternatively you can change the ProductCode to make it a Major Upgrade and author an entry in the Upgrade table. Then you can upgrade by simply running the msi.

Another option would be a minor update, but not shipped as full msi file but as msp patch.

tishamol

tishamol
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:30

Hi,

This is a minor upgrade as no change in product code.I was trying vth these parameters.But still it is throwing the same error.

Any other solution.

Regards
smitha

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 13:20

Can you please post a screenshot of the error message? And the exact command line you are using?

tishamol

tishamol
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:47

Hi,

I installed the lower version of the application with .exe and tried to upgrade it via .msi pf higher version.Then the error shown is attached below.

I was using below command line parametrs

msiexec.exe /i "xyz.msi" REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

Thanks & Regards
Smitha

tishamol

tishamol
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:53

Here is the screenshot of the error.
Regards
smitha

Attached Images

• installerror.JPG

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:22

So it looks like the command line parameters don't get through for some reason. Do you type this command line in the Run box of Windows, or in a command prompt? Can you generate a log file (http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm)?

vishnub

vishnub
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:03

Hi Smitha,
Are you sure the msiexec was executed with REINSTALLMODE=vomus, especially 'v', if that is missing you will get the error attached.

Stefan,
I have a question, is there a way to set REINSTALLMODE & REINSTALL within msi based on some condition. So that msi can be double clicked and work in either case of fresh & minor upgrade.

Thanks,
Vishnu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 16:42

You can't set the "v" in REINSTALLMODE inside the msi. This is a chicken and egg situation: if you want to use the new msi file you have to tell msiexec.exe before it loads the .msi, not afterwards.
Typically a setup.exe is used to detect whether it's an update and set the v accordingly.

vishnub

vishnub
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:49

Thanks Stefan for your quick response.

Why I raised this question is because, we have a deployment structure which is only aware of MSI and we thought of doing fresh, minor & major upgrades using single msi instead of msi & msp/exe.

3.0.0.0 version of msi is for
a. fresh installation
b. 2.0.1.0 -> 3.0.0.0 as minor upgrade
c. 1.0.0.0 -> 3.0.0.0 as major upgrade

I made changes within msi to achieve a & c, where b is where I got struck for deployment with REINSTALLMODE=vomus.

I thought, instead of doing major change in my deployment structure to make it aware of exe, change within msi will be considerably simple.
After looking at MSDN article about ReinstallMode Control Event (http://msdn.microsof...a371183(v=vs.85).aspx), I thought it is possible.

If I understand correctly, except option 'v' for REINSTALLMODE rest can be set using the Control Event or through CA within msi, is it so?

Thanks,
Vishnu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:02

Yes, that's correct. You can change the REINSTALLMODE inside the msi, except for the 'v' option which affects which .msi file will be loaded, so it can't be inside the file.

Your options would be to use Major Upgrades also for case b. or use patches (.msp) for minor updates.