This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Altering Patch User Interface

5 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 14:28

I've created a Quick Patch and I was wondering if I could alter the User Interface to bypass the 'Update' button and possibly the 'Finish' button as well. In other words, let the patch run with no user intervention.

Initially I created an Update.exe but I didn't see anywhere in the IDE where I could effect the desired changes before actually building the patch.

I then tried to build the patch without the Update.exe hoping I could open the .msp database with Orca and try to get around the UI that way, but Orca doesn't open .msp's I guess.

I'm still going to look into creating a patch with the Patch Design view, so let me know if there is a way to do this in that arena. I understand there is more flexibility with regard to customization going that route.

Any info APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 15:06

I have no experience with QuickPatch, but I know the PATCH property is normally used in a regular patch project to make various user interface changes for patch installation:

http://msdn.microsof...ch_property.asp
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 19:05

It looks like I can pass /s to Update.exe. I just read this in the Help Library. I'll have to check this out.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:07

Yes, that should work if you are looking for a completely no-questions asked patch. You could invoke this command line from a CD-browser for example.

I thought you wanted to control which dialogs the user sees when a patch is installed, and I believe it is for this purpose the PATCH property is useful.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 08 July 2004 - 09:10.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 15:16

OH, I GOT YA! THANKS!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 15:24

Just cleaning up the thread so users seeing the thread in the future can see the two solutions wink.gif .
Regards
-Stein Åsmul