This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

The Law and Order of Icons

6 replies to this topic

daitaku

daitaku
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 16:26

I have four subfolders and 3 shortcuts in my main folder. I have the following existential question this morning: sometimes after running my setup they are all neatly alphabetically ordered and sometimes they are all in a jumble, why?

Daitaku

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 16:46

And here's an existential answer ...

From the sounds of it, this in Windows Explorer and not the Start Menu.  'cause the latter will append new items under Windows 2000/Windows 98 and re-alphabetize under Windows NT/Windows 95.

If it's Explorer, then is it simply that you're re-running your setup on some occasions?  'cause that that would explain the behavior you're seeing.

If that folder is open, the initial run through would append items as the setup copies/creates them.  Other times, those items are already there, so there's nothing for the setup to append.

daitaku

daitaku
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 17:12

No, it is in the start menu. I always uninstall because I get maintenance mode when trying to run my setup anyhow if it is already installed.
Sometimes it looks like (the letter is the first letter of the item)
Folder -  Subfolder A
              Subfolder D
              Subfolder F
              Subfolder I
              Shortcut  L
              Shortcut  R
              Shortcut  U
Which is the way it should. and sometimes it looks like:
Folder -  Subfolder D
              Subfolder I
              Shortcut L
              Subfolder A
              Subfolder F
              Shortcut  R
              Shortcut  U

I realize this is not critical but it is simply annoying. My Win98 machine and my colleague's WinME machine are fine (although she says they were mixed up a few installs ago) and my own WinME machine is mixed up as well.

Daitaku

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 23:06

I think someone posted this exact scenario a while back and the results were...it's a ms thing.  You can't do anything about the inconsistency between the os'.  I would love for someone to come forward and rebut this as I am not impressed with this functionality either.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 23:08

Humm, not sure then as all of the installs I've done are for NT/W2K systems.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 10:35

I think there is a registry tree which represents the start menu visualization.
If you delete the subkey for your program folder, explorer will order the subfolders and links alphabetically and write this into the registry again.
Just search the registry for your folder name and look what happens if you delete the key ... (make sure you have a backup of the registry/key)

daitaku

daitaku
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 19:39

Thanks Perotin, you have hit it right on the nail. The weirdest thing is that  even if you uninstall and/or reboot and reinstall, that key stays the same. The MenuOrder key even keeps items that are no longer there ( when I look at it in regedit, I see long uninstalled/deleted folders such as Online Service) . I think I shall pass on having  my setup delete the key though.
For  reference, the key is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder

Daitaku