This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Short filename mismatch

2 replies to this topic

miguelito928

miguelito928
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 17:41

I am creating an MSP patch installer using the MSIMSP utility from the Windows SDK. The MSP is coming out a lot larger than expected.

When inspecting the log file, I noticed that there are a ton of filename mismatches because of the short filename being different between the two versions of the MSI installers. We have a lot of files that have the same filename basically (index_something.ix), so they all get the same short filename with just tilde and then a number (like this: INDEX_~1.IX). I have removed a few files in the latest version, which might explain why the short filenames are getting off on their enumeration.

Here is one of many examples in my log file:
CODE

WARNING (11): File.FileName mismatch between Upgraded ('INDEX_~6.IX|index_r_2.ix') and Target ('INDEX_~8.IX|index_r_2.ix') Images means old files may be orphaned.  File Table Key: _0A519F6865674D8FB1E1014725EBDB40
   Patch API could not create a small patch; using whole upgraded file.
 Including entire file: 'C:\VSTemp\UpgradedImage\.\root\data\APC\index_r_2.ix';
          FTK=_0A519F6865674D8FB1E1014725EBDB40; temp location=q2Family\00008.FLE.

As you can see, because of the short filename mismatch, it includes the whole darn file, despite the fact that the two files are exactly the same binary-wise (I've checked with another utility). If you have a few hundred of these warnings and inclusions of whole files, it really inflates the resultant size of the MSP patch installer.

Any advice on how to resolve the short filename mismatches? If I try to put the removed files back into the latest version, will the short filenames correctly line up again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by miguelito928, 27 March 2008 - 17:42.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 14:11

That depends on your msi authoring tool.
You could fix the File table in your autoring tool, before building the new msi file and the msp.

miguelito928

miguelito928
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 00:42

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-04-01 14:11)
That depends on your msi authoring tool.
You could fix the File table in your autoring tool, before building the new msi file and the msp.

Well since it's Visual Studio building the installer, that won't work. So acutally I fixed the File table using Orca.exe after building the MSI and that seemed to work well.

Thanks.