This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files Overwriting Problem

6 replies to this topic

Kannan

Kannan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 06:53

Hi all
i am using ISWI 2.01. I am facing a strange problem while installing my product.
i have a component which contains some dll files. it destination set to SystemFolder.
Regardless of version checking rules, i want to install those files always. ie if the files are already in the target machine, i just want to overwrite those dlls with the new one that is coming with the Setup.
That is Thse dlls version is always same.but the date of modification is different. So whenever the setup runs on a machine , the new modified dlls should be installed over the existing dlls. For that i made the REINSTALLMODE to "vomusa". But i didnot set anything to REINSTALL property. But when i run the new setup, those dlls were not updated.The old dlls are still in the Target machine.
what is the problem. Any suggestion to solve this problem is appriciated. Reply Earlier

80LPJ

80LPJ
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 17:26

If your dlls have binary file versions, then you need to "up" your version (i.e. change 1.0.0 to 1.1.0).  Files with binary versions do not get updated by date alone. You can do this by either recompiling your code or go to the ISWI Advanced Views-Setup Design.  Look for your file and go to the properties. Uncheck the "use System Settings" option and upgrade your version.  If you care about keeping track of your binary version releases, you probably want to recompile your project and keep the ISWI system settings change automatically instead of manually editing them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works.

Kannan

Kannan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 05:51

hi
it is working fine.thanks for ur response.
but tell me onething.consider this is the case.i had up the new dll version say 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.2.then i made the setup and install it in client M/C. again the dll was made to some changes and new release was made.so should i up the version ie to 1.0.0.3 or should i keep the version to 1.0.0.2. in any case the version in that dll property was 1.0.0.0.
so is it necessary to up the version if it was undergone some changes in the development Desk.

80LPJ

80LPJ
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 19:15

Just a reminder (if you are not aware of it), ISWI  will only recognize version changes with this format: xx.xx.xx
I don't think it will update your dlls if you change from version 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.2.   You probably want to change from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2.

My short answer to you is yes, you have to bump up your version if you released it to your client(s).  I have not found another way around it.  Maybe other folks have a solution that do not involve bumping up versions.

The other alternative (requires bookkeeping on your client's side) is make sure that  your client makes a clean uninstall and remove all the files that were not deleted by your setup before installing the new files.  This is probably your last alternative if you cannot change your version.

80LPJ
ISWI user

Kannan

Kannan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 15:02

hi
thank u for ur information. But the Version Information in my all Dll Properties(Right click Mouse on the Dll-->Properties-->Version) is 1.0.0.0. so in this case how should i up the version.
and u told me that ISW recognize version like this xx.xx.xx. so in my case the version info is different.
but whenever i release a setup, always i up the version of those Dlls.
so it is working fine.But still if i see the version info in the client machine of those installed dlls is still 1.0.0.0.

80LPJ

80LPJ
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 20:01

There are two types of version settings that you can set in your application,  File version and binary version.    When you right-click your dll and get the information on it, you are retrieving the File version settings.

The settings that you are modifying is the binary version.  This is what the installer recognizes and installs appropriately with your revised installer package.  

I manage the two revision settings in the following manner:  Once I have a release build ready to go, I bump up my binary version and notate that in my source code as a release.   Now that is my golden master.  

When I am ready to ship,  I want all of my files (anything that goes into the release cd) to have the same time stamp so my tech support staff will have an easier time  in the help desk.  This is where I modify my file version settings and make sure all the files have the same file versions.  Of course I have to recompile everything.  Note that no code changes were made, only the file version settings.  This way when the customer  right clicks on the info, they get a uniform file version settings.  

You probably want to talk to your group and figure out a way to manage your release versions.  For me this works because I have to deal with a bunch of other developers.  

There is probably a better way to deal with revision settings.  I'm new to this myself,  I may be doing this the hard way.  You may have to talk to your colleagues and ask them how they change the version settings during compile time if you are not familiar with how it is done.

80LPJ
ISWI User