This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Redistributables - Merge Modules

4 replies to this topic

maxk

maxk
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 15:57

Hello,

I chose to install the MSXML 4.0 -Windows XP and Later (version 4.20.9819.0) using redistributables\merge module.
The install copied the MSXML4.dll to Windows\SysWOW64.

Now, I need to remove just MSXML 4.0 so I manually deleted the MSXML4.dll in Windows\SysWOW64.
The problem is that I get a repair option when I tried to launch the application.

Is there any way to suppress or bypass this repair option without completely uninstall the install?
I just want to delete MSMXL4.dll or replace with MSXML6.dll without impacting install.

I'm using Installshield 2012.

Thanks in advance,
M

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 16:16

I would recommend not deleting files in system folders.  Many microsoft dlls can live on the system at the same time, MS XML included.  If you need to upgrade to a newer version, simply ship your new version with the correct merge module and leave the old version alone.

maxk

maxk
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 18:42

Hi deramor,

I agree with you but I can't build a new install until next delivery (customer request). 

I need to find a solution to remove msxml4 without impacting our application.

Thanks,

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 20:41

Can't you just use the MSXML 6.0 redistributable in the place of whatever process you are having the customer do to delete the old 4.0 version?

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=3988

maxk

maxk
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 18:12

Absolutely agree with you but they don't want it that way. No idea why. ^^

Anyway, if I delete the msxml4, the repair option dialog come up when I tried to launch our application.  

Something is associated between msxml4 and our application but I'm not sure how to dissociate.

Thanks.

Edited by maxk, 23 April 2015 - 18:12.