This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Start menu shortcut options?

2 replies to this topic

Kate

Kate
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 19:07

I need to be able to allow the user to choose where they want their start menu shortcut placed, rather than automatically creating a shortcut under Program Groups/Foo Inc.

This must be a common question but I can't seem to find the answer and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
Help?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 July 2001 - 09:02

This is not difficult with windows installer but is very awkward with current versions of InstallShield.

If you look at the documentation for the shortcut table you will see that there is a field 'Directory_'  which indicates where the shortcut should be placed.  So it is just a matter of the defining the directory in the Directory  table and the problem is solved.

As I said above this is straight forward with an msi editor such as orca.  However ISWI provides a friendly graphical way of defining shortcuts.  Unfortunately they do not publish the Shortcut table in the power editor so you are unable to do what you want easily.

So if you are using ISWI you can

1)  Edit the msi file after you have built it with ISWI.

or

2)  Create a table building CA to generate the shortcut table during installation. (Not for the feint hearted, but once you have done this you will find all kinds of tricks for your new skills).