This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Difference between ADDLOCAL and ADDSOURCE

3 replies to this topic

msichamp

msichamp
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 14:04

I know:
ADDLOCAL: The value of the ADDLOCAL property is a list of features that are delimited by commas, and are to be installed locally.
ADDSOURCE: The value of the ADDSOURCE property is a list of features that are delimited by commas, and are to be installed to run

I want to know, what is mean by locally installation and installation from source.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:18

Local means the files will be copied from the instalaltion source (CD-ROM or network location) to the local hard disk, e.g. C:\rogram Files\etc

Run from source means that the files will not be copied but referenced from the instalaltion source. Typically used in company where the software gets extracted to a shared network drive (using admin install) and then all desktop machines install it to run from source. In this case the files stay on the network share, which can make updates easier but of course requires a network connection to launch the applications. Another scenario would be a multimedia appl,ication that ships on a CD or DVD. The program files could be installed locally, but any large sample media files would stay on the DVD.

msichamp

msichamp
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 15:18

Thanks for the reply:
things are very much clear now.
Still can you tell me what changes/difference i will get to see, if i install office 2003 through ADDLOCAL and ADDSOURCE seprately? if i get to know this difference then i am sure, this topic will be clear to me.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 14:17

What do you mean by "separately"? I don't understand your question - could you please re-phrase it or describe in more detail what you want to do?