Asking users if they want to install a desktop icon
Posted 15 August 2001 - 09:16
Does anyone know how I can ask a user if they want to install desktop icons?
I am using 2.03,
Posted 15 August 2001 - 11:25
Suppose you want a desktop shortcut to Component1 of Feature1.
1. Create a new feature specially for the desktop icon,
lets call it DesktopIcon1
2. Set the display type to "Not Visible"
3. From the Advanced Views, Setup Design Tree select DesctopIcon1 Right click, Insert Components. choose Component1. (You are allowed to add a component to more than one feature).
4. Expand Component1 Select shortcuts and create a shortcut under the desktop node.
5. Create a dialog n the usual way with radio buttons for Yes/No and Property RadioButtonProperty
6. From the dialog behavour node select the next button and the event page.
Create two events
Optional bit: In the execute sequence add a CA to check status of Feature1 and ensure DestopIcon1 is absent when Feature1 is absent.
There are other ways of doing this and you will find other posts discussing this problem. This is just my idea for solving the problem.
Posted 15 August 2001 - 16:40
Thanks a million (again!)
I did as you said and i think it was correct but now the installshield is doing something really wierd on me, it gives me this error
Dialog DesktopIcons for language English (United States) built
** Error -4103: Error adding radio button Radio_Group_Desktop_Ask1
However I do not have a radio button called this in this dialog or indeed anywhere - I deleted it. Is this a bug in Installshield?
When I run my installer it will not go further than where I have specified this in the sequence.
Do you know what might be causing this?
Posted 15 August 2001 - 17:02
You will not like the first paragraph.
I hope you have been checking into version control regularly. No? Made a back up everyday, No?
This is the biggest most disgusting bug in ISWI. 99.99% of ISWI developers have to restart their project when this happens. However I may have a solution tomorrow.