This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MsiGetProperty in Merge Modules

2 replies to this topic

sandi

sandi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 00:08

Hi,

I wrote a custom action that installs a 3rd party product. It uses a localizable property to specify which installer to launch and a normal property to tell where the installer is located on the Install Media.

Everythign works fine when I include the custom action and properties directly in the main MSI Install.

However, I wanted to create a merge module that does this job so that I can reuse it in other msi installs. That's when I ran into problems.

The properties and the custom action are now included in the merge module and I inserted the CA in the UI Sequence of the main install so that it will be executed.

In this scenario MsiGetProperty still succeeds, but the returned variable is empty (it should have included the installers filename that's specified in the merge module).

My question, is it possible to have a custom action in a merge module that reads the merge modules properties?

Sandi

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 15:06

You didn't mention what tool you used to create the merge module, but some of them automatically ensure that properties in a merge module will be unique. Did you check the merge module to see if the properties have the module GUID attached, as in PROPERTY.123456...?

If so, and if you didn't also change the MsiGetProperty call, this could be the problem.

Hope this helps.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

sandi

sandi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 19:56

yes the GUID did the trick. Thanks a lot for your help!

I used InstallShield 11 Premier Edition to create the Merge Module.

The Merge Modules Property didn't show up at all in the main MSI Install project, but when I directly checked the MSI that was build, it was in the property table in the format name.guid

Thanks again,
Sandi