This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

HKEY_CURRENT_USER in major upgrade

2 replies to this topic

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 13:23

Hi All,
Is it possible that during uninstall performed by major upgrade, the registry keys under HKCU are not deleted?

Thanks,

Lilach

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:40

If the old version is removed during a Major Upgrade, and RemoveExistingProducts is schedulked early (before the install actions of the new version), and MigrateFeatureState is empty: thé result should be similar to a manual uninstall, i.e. everything that was installed would be removed. For per-user data this means data of the user performing the uninstall, not of any other user. Note that because of UAC the user context might switch during the operation.

If that HKCU data was created by an auto-repair it might not be removed. In general, a per-machine install should not create HKCU data in the first place.

And then of course there are cases where data is left behind because the installer was configured that way, for instance if the component was set to "permanent".

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:18

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
I haven't figured it out yet, but I think that in my case, there is a custom action which prevents the removal of HKCU data during major upgrade.

Thanks,
Lilach