This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CA's for Rebooting

3 replies to this topic

Devon Anderson

Devon Anderson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 18:24

Hi everyone,

I am doing an install product that is quite straightforward on the installation side (files etc), but it also alters some hardware configuration settings during the user dialog stage (no problems with this).

In Utopia, I would like to do this :

Halfway through my InstallWelcome set of Dialogs, Id like to save the entire state of the installer, reboot, and come back to the same point with the state saved. Why? because the hardware requires it.  I would have thought there would be support for this in InstallSheild but I cant find any.

I looked at using ForceReboot etc, but they can only run in the execute sequence and that occurs after the dialogs. No state is saved is it? Ie all the properties and where in the cycle we were?

Am I right in thinking that I have to set a few flags, put conditions on everything after the stage (not to run them), place a key in the RunOnce registry (to rerun setup.exe with a "jump" parameter), then after InstallInitialize, do the reboot, Then once rebooted, checking the setup.exe parameter to make sure that nothing runs before the point I was originally at.

It seems a bit strange to have to do it like this. Do I have the right idea? :-)

cheers,
Devon

Devon Anderson

Devon Anderson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 19:32

yes its me again...

well, I just tried above and it all works... so no need to give me a solution :-)

It appears that ForceReboot saves every global property that has been modified. This is quite handy. Documentation doesn't say this anywhere though? So, I just do an EndDialog with a Return after setting the properties with a CA, then do a ForceReboot after InstallInitialize on condition that: " (NOT AFTERREBOOT) and (DOREBOOT)" ... then I trap in the Dialogs for the DOREBOOT when it restarts the second time.

It all works good :-)

cheers everyone,
Devon

CullenMorris

CullenMorris
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 20:54

I was reading the post above about resuming setup after reboot.  I was wondering if someone could clarify this approach?  I would like to be able to resume, skipping dialogs that were encountered before the reboot, but I don't understand how from what was given.