This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registering ActiveX controls

3 replies to this topic

kk sonu

kk sonu
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 13:20

hi all,

i m creating a setup in which i require to register .ocx files. i m using Install shield developer 7.0.

To register ocx , i ve selected "Self Register " Option.

The problem is that
the setup runs well in Windows NT but not in professional or Windows 9X.

The error stating "429 Unable to create ActiveX objects" is displayed on clicking the shortcut.

is there any other (more reliable) way to register the .ocx files??

regards
kk

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 18:02

You should use "Dependency Walker" to determine what files this OCX depends on. Most likely you are lacking a runtime component to make the OCX file register correctly.

Also: The recommended way to register COM components is to enable the setting called "COM Extract at Build".
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

kk sonu

kk sonu
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:22

hi,

i ve tried that too (Selecting "Extract COM Info at build") the prolem remain unaffected..

any way to elaborate more i m including
merge modules like MDAC25 DCOM95 VB run time , etc

i ve also scanned for static dependency and run time dependency ..

the issue is that how come same setup is runnin fine in Windows NT but not on any other windows OS

Please help me out ... i dunno how to proceed

Thanx in advance anticipating help
regards
kk

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 19:56

COM extract at build won't work in case self-registration doesn't work. COM extract at build essentially does a selfreg of the file at build time and then puts all the COM info into the installer itself. This way it is not necessary to do a self-registration during installation on the target computer.

It could be that your Active X control is trying to instantiate another COM object during registration / load. This COM object can be for anything: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, another control created by you etc... I would carefully analyze how the NT computer is different from your other computer. In other words what is installed on that computer which is not installed on the computers where the setup fails.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul