This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield for VC++ 6 and windows service

1 reply to this topic

Xenia27

Xenia27
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 07:31

Hi,

I have this problem. I got my programs done and I would like to use InstallShield to packup them... Now I would like to add my programs as windows services (Just like a software, called AtYourService). So what can I do? Can I add some codes in my script in InstallShield? Can I do this? If I can, what should I do? Thanks a lot!

~~Xenia~~ smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:28

"InstallShield for Visual C++" is a limited edition of InstallShield Professional 5. It doesn't have built in support for services. You can write InstalLScript code to call the relevant Windows APIs, and there is sample code for this here on InstallSite. However this will work only with the full version, not with the limited edition, because calling Windows APIs is disabled in the limited edition.

You could look into Visual Studio Installer which is available as free download from Microsoft for Visual Studio 6 owners. I'm not sure whether this supports NT Services.

Otherwise you should consifer moving to a full featured setup authoring tool. The successor to InstallShield Professional is InstallShield DevStudio which can use InstallScript with no limitations. Until Nov 30 you can get DevStudio at an introductory offer (see here for details and evaluation).