This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Errors from InstallShield's setup.exe

2 replies to this topic

donjacour

donjacour
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:38

I have an InstallShield DevStudio 9 install project that creates a setup.exe as a network downloadable image. This installer requires admin rights to work. In the installer there is an install condition to check that the user has admin rights.

When I run this installer as a .msi file it does just what I want.

When I run it as an exe it pops up a few errors. It says it can't write to c:\WINDOWS\Downloaded installations\<GUID>. It than pops up a directory browser for you to choose a location. Then I get another error about creating an error log file.

How do I control setup.exe behavior?

The error log it complains about shouldn't be written to until we get to the first custom action in the sequence. Shouldn't install conditions have been checked by then?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

-Bob

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:54

Do you have the correct permissions to write to the area that the setup wants to use?

What are the exact errors that pop up?

Possibly search the install shield knowledge base for clues.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 21:07

The setup.exe runs and extracts your setup files before your .msi launches, so your check is too late.