This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Slient Install

5 replies to this topic

Donald Bristol

Donald Bristol
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 16:28

Hi:

Can someone tell me how the silent install work on Window Installer? I know
the msiexec.exe can run in a silent mode by using the "/qn" option flag but
it do not have "/r" option like IS6 to create the respond file. Does this
mean, it do not read any respond file at all. How can one
control the installation in the silent mode when user input is requied, for example a valid product key.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 16:55

You can enter them on the command line
eg.  
msiexec /i prod.msi PRODKEY="12345-555"

If you want a nice way for your users to generate a silent installation "response file" expand the Admin sequence to gather the information and preset the properties.

Donald Bristol

Donald Bristol
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2001 - 21:23

Ian,
Can you explain what you mean by If you want a nice way for your users to generate a silent installation "response file" expand the Admin sequence to gather the information and preset the properties

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 June 2001 - 23:54

A system administrator creates an adminstrative installation by the command
msiexec /a "TheProduct.msi"
or with the installshield setup
setup /v /a

By default this just unpacks the cabs and makes a copy of the installation on a network server.  The sys admin then installs from this copy.

Now there is little known property "AdminProperties" that is a list of properties that can be set during the admin install to overide those in the property table during user installation.   So by adding dialogs to the admin sequence you are able to define properties that will control the user installation.

Hope this helps.

Donald Bristol

Donald Bristol
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 20:25

Ian,
Thanks for your reply, but I found a work-around to my problem.