This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

[BUG?] Start Menu Path - Russian Server 2003

1 reply to this topic

NHVirtuoso

NHVirtuoso
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 21:35

I am trying to execute a built Basic MSI installer generated by InstallShield, on a Russian Server 2003 system. The release configuration has the MSI Engine Version property set as "Version 2.0". When I try to run the installer, I get the following error message:

"Error 1324. The path ?????? ???? contains an invalid character."

So, I logged the installation and looked in the log file and discovered the following entry during the execution of the CostFinalize action (the question marks are in fact question marks... not a result of bad copy):

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
DEBUG: Error 2888: Executing the Binary view failed
Internal Error 2888. Binary
Error 1324.The path ??????? ???? contains an invalid character.
MSI © (28:40) [15:05:02:644]: Product: GPOVault™ Enterprise -- Error 1324.The path ??????? ???? contains an invalid character.

Action ended 15:05:02: CostFinalize. Return value 3.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A little further down, in the Property listing, I see that Windows Installer (or InstallShield?) incorrectly interprets the following path

C:\DOCUME~1\1\Главное меню\

...as

C:\Documents and Settings\1\??????? ????\

Here's the actual log entry...
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Property©: StartMenuFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\1\??????? ????\
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

What is very confusing to me, is the fact that many of the other paths (in fact, all of the other paths) with Russian characters in them display correctly. In fact, a *subfolder* of the incorrectly identified path is able to be read correctly

Property©: AdminToolsFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\1\Главное меню\Программы\Администрирование\

Can anyone offer me any insight on this problem? Does this seem to be a Microsoft problem, or an InstallShield problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,
~~~
Bryan Garretson
DesktopStandard Corporation
BGarretson@desktopstandard.com[COLOR=green]

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 19:56

Since it's a runtime problem, I believ it's a Microsoft problem, not InstallShield.
I guess it happens when it tries to extract files to the TEMP folder. Can you reproduce the problem without temporary files (Support Files view and Binary table empty; use a fresh blank project)?
Does it work if you change the TEMP environment variable to a different location (C:\Temp) before you start your setup, for testing purposes?