This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall prompting for MSI file

1 reply to this topic

• 58 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 18:09

I have created an install that is all compressed into a setup.exe file and for many many weeks while testing it, the uninstalling has been going on fine (to a certain degree).

Then last night, I get the following while uninstalling...

"The feature that you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

It also asks where can I find the MSI file for the product.

The problem is is that since I compress the program into a single EXE, there is no MSI file.  Like I said, I have been doing this for a while as a single EXE, but this occurred yesterday for the first time and now I cannot get it to stop.

Help!

AdamBell

AdamBell
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 15:41

posty,

When you install an MSI, even from within an EXE, it still runs the MSI. It also caches an uncompressed copy locally.

When you try and uninstall, or change the feature state, It will consult the locally cached copy. If you are removing a feature fom being local, it generally hands that by itself. If you are adding files locally, it will try and locate the MSi from it's original install point. If this is unavailable it will work through the list provided by the SOURCLIST property (if set).

You can check where it's looking by checking the registry. The location (on 2K anyway ;) ):

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\<UserSID>\<ProductCode>\InstallProperties

This gives you interesting stuff like where it's looking for the MSI (InstallSource), and the cached package name (LocalPackage).

This should give you some leads to go with anyway.

Cheers

Adam