This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registering a .NET service in SCM during install

1 reply to this topic

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:18

Hello everyone,

During the installation of an application, the user is asked to provide a Windows Domain account and password under which to run the service. If they leave the window blank and simply click "Next", then the service will run as a Local System Account.

Simple enough, but that application was rewritten so that it is now .NET-based, and ever since, if the user provides a domain account and password during the installation, it nonetheless shows up in the Service Control Manager as running under Local System account.

The developer of this app tells me that there is no way to attach the userid to the service using the .NET InstallUtil tool while installing a service, that the service always gets created to run under system account.

I'd rather the user not have to manually fiddle with the SCM to express their preference, so if anyone can suggest another solution, I would appreciate it, because I am at an impasse.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 19:55

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I'm curious how the setup for the old, non-.NET application was able to automatically apply those credentials to the running of the service?
user posted image