This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Restart Machine & Continue Installation in UI Seq

3 replies to this topic

SujitUk

SujitUk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 19:55

Hi All,

My problem is somewhat peculiar..

I want to restart my installation during "User Interface sequence".. Basically I am removing an older version of my product using Major upgrade.. But due to some reasons I am manually uninstalling the older version. I mean I have put this Custom Action which will uninstall the older version in the User Interface Sequence.

But once this is done, I want to restart the machine and continue the installation from the point where it left.(it has to start from the next action in the UI Sequence). I have tried to use the "Force Reboot" Standard Custom Action, But this can be placed only within the "Install Initialize" and "InstallFinalize" event. Can anyone mention about a solution for this? where I can reboot the machine within the User Sequence and start off from there after Reboot.

Hope the above description was pretty clear.

Any help\comments- absolutely invaluable

Thanks
Sujit

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 13:05

I don't understadn why you are doing it this way, but if there's no alternative I think you will have to write a custom action (call a function in DLL or EXE) to perform the reboot.

SujitUk

SujitUk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:44

Hi Stefan,
I got around the problem without restarting the machine previously (6 months back) .. But now, I am forced to restart since I am performing a SQL 2000 and SP3 installation.. And these installation will be done in the User Interface Sequence. After setting up the SQL 2000 machine I am running many more child msi's in silent mode..

So Do you think can I restart the machine with the help of some custom action in the User Interface Sequence?? If yes, can you suggest me of some quick and effective solution for this.. Remember that I need to continue my installation after the reboot in the User Interface Sequence.

Thanks for your(Stefan) guidance..

Sujit

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 14:26

Yes, I belive this is possible. I think that InstallShield MSDE and MDAC Merge Module objects do exactly that.