This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Small update doesn't work for some versions.

1 reply to this topic

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:38

Hi,

I am using small update feature to provide small updates to our customers. Now i am facing a serious problem with this. The scenario is as below.

1) I have a product with version 7.11.01 installed on the customers machine.
2)Now the customer wants to upgrade the software so i change the package code in the installer. The version of the software i provide to the customer as an upgrade is 7.12.04 now i expect the software to be upgraded successfully. i.e replace lower versioned files to higher versions but this doesn't happen in this scenario. However if the user had installed 7.11.01 and i give 7.11.05 version as an upgrade it works. It doesn't work if it is 7.11.** and 7.12.**

I am not understanding whats going wrong here. Can anyone please help.

regards,
Balaji

Edited by balaji4u, 05 December 2011 - 06:39.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:07

Maybe you broke some component rules, like removing a component from a feature etc. In InstallShield you can perform "update validation" (make sure you specify the correct old version as the previous version). This should detect such problems.
Also, if you have a log of the failed update, look for SELMGR errors.