This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Brute uninstall

3 replies to this topic

May

May
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 07:22

I made a beginners mistake in uninstall CA - infinite loop :(. Now I can uninstall the product !

There is some way of uninstalling without running the initial uninstall sequence? I've tried to delete the Uninstall key from registry, but there is no result.

Please help me! Thanks.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 09:02

I can think of two ways of getting around this problem.

1.  The first is to use a utility you should have called MSIZAP.  You can use this to clean up the msi registry for a particular installation.  Then you just remove the files and registry keys manually.

2.  Edit the cached msi file and remove the offending CA.  This has the advantage of a more orderly uninstallation, removing files and registry.
Cached installations can normally be found in the directory  C:\WINNT\Installer   you will find a number of files with names like '103b1da.msi'  Move the cursor over the filename in explorer and a tooltip will tell you the contents.   When you have found yours open it with ORCA.   Select the InstallExecuteSequence find your CA and delete it (or add a never true condition). Save it.  Run the Uninstall.

Hope this helps.

(You can find the name of the cached msi file more directly.  It is in the registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.\Installer\LocalPackages and an obsfucated version of your ProductID guid.)

May

May
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2001 - 11:09

Thanks, it worked!