This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multi Installs

4 replies to this topic

ranjit

ranjit
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 21:15

HI ALL,
How do I find the InstallDir of the Child install?

Project Type : Basic MSI

I have Second install I launch through a custom Action. The Custom Action uses Launch an Exe type. I am not minimising or doing a silent second install, instead the second install launches in it's own process while the first install waits for this to complete.

My CA's target property looks like this
msiexec.exe /i "[SOURCEDIR]Second.msi"
Source = SystemFolder.

Now everything works fine, the second install runs well, the parent then launches runs well. Here at one point I need to know the install directory of the child install which has already completed it's install. Can I get this value??

Do I have to fiddle with the Second MSI(This is a third party MSI project).

Is there a way to do this?
thanks for the help and suggestions.

Ranjit

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 12:51

You meanthe installation directory the user selected in the child setup? The child setup would have to store this information somewhere where you can pick it up. For the parant install there's no way to catch this information.
The alternative would be to ask the user in the parent install, then pass this install dir on the command line to the child setup (which then should run with basic or no UI).

ranjit

ranjit
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 17:58

Hi Stefan,
Thanks again for your suggestion. I think I will open the third party msi convert it into a project file and then at the end of the child install I will write a CA to write the installDir into the registry, read that registry entry into the parent setup. Coz the dev team does not want to write to a file or something like that.

One more question ,
Is there a way to uninstall this child install when it's parent is uninstalled or do we have to write a CA to do this?

Thanks
Ranjit

ranjit

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 18:37

If you're installing it with a CA you can also uninstall it that way (msixexec.exe /x {...product code...}), using prper conditions on the CA.

ranjit

ranjit
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 23:05

Hi Stfan,
I am having a problem in doing the multiple installs.
When the child install runs the parent is sitting in the backgroud, this is fine scince my CA says wait for the executable to complete, but the controls(buttons) on the Parent install Dialog seems to be enabled, in a sense the user is able to click on the Parent dialog contorls while the child is running in foreground.

Here is a end user scenario.
The child install starts and goes through it's UI. The user sees the Parent install Dialog in the background(scince I am launching the CA to execute the child install on a button click on the parent ) and clicks on any button on the parent dialog(let's say in this case cancel button), the child install runs through it's course and returns to parent , and the parent responds to the cancel click action and terminates the install.

Is there anyway I can disable the Parent's control untill I finish installing the child???

Thank you for your suggestions.
Ranjit bendapudi.