This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

.msi file in commandline

2 replies to this topic

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 14:51

Hi All..
I have created two releases in a product configuration.
1. Setup.exe
2. Application.msi.

The requirement was that whenever the installation is done on a machine where the product all ready exists, the installer sholdnt go to maintenance mode instead reinstall the modified binaries with one click.

This i have achived with genarating setup.exe with msi commandline as
REINSTALLMODE=vaums REINSTALL=ALL [COLOR=blue].
[COLOR=gray]when some body double clicks on setup.exe and the product is allready installed on the machine the installer doent go to maintenance mode and instead it reinstalls in resume mode.This is working fine for me.

But is it possible to do the same in application.msi?
i mean to say during creation of release if i write the command line REINSTALLMODE=vaums REINSTALL=ALL and generate Application.msi file(not setup.exe) and double click it, will the command REINSTALLMODE=vaums REINSTALL=ALL hit? for me it is not hitting. Its going into maintenance mode.
[COLOR=green]but if i run the same application.msi in commandline with msiexec/i "application.msi" REINSTALLMODE=vaums REINSTALL=ALL the installer will run in resume mode and it straightaway reinstalls.(its not running in maintenance mode).

is it possilbe to achive the above said thing with doulbe clicking on .msi file instead of running it in commandline?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 17:53

If you want to install a smal or minor update (ProuctCode unchanged) using a full .msi file, you need the REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL parameters on the command line. There's no way around this.

Your alternatives:
  • Install your update using a patch .msp instead of a full .msi
  • Create a Major Upgrade, i.e. change the ProductCode. In this case don't use REINSTALL=ALL

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:17

Thanxs stefan.