This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How does Modify works?

1 reply to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:10

Hi to all,
It's not clear how the modify choice (in maintenance setup window) works.

From InstallShield help:
<<Install individual components that were not previously installed, and uninstall individual components.>>

Let me start with an example

1. I install a three-components setup
2. I start maintenance, I choose modify
3. a select-component window appears. The heading says:
<<Select components you want to install, and clear the components you do not want to install>>
4. if I select comp 1 and clear comps 2 and 3 what's happen?
comp1 will be reinstalled --> that's for sure
a) comps2,3 will only not be reinstalled (they remain the old two) or...
B) comps2,3 will be removed and nomore installed?

if B) (as I suppose) is it possible to perform a kind of "selective repair" or selective reinstallation without removing all the other components?

Thanks.
Ciao, Giuseppe

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 15:30

b is the correct answer, but it's not really a "selective repair" since unselected stuff is removed.  Repair is a separate option and reinstalls the previously selected components.

Modify is pretty much like reinstalling without actually unininstalling first since you can change your initial selections.  Like if you find out the examples are worthless and just take up space, then you can get rid of 'em.  Or if the reverse happens and you find out you can need them you can easily add them back in.

All this becomes more complicated though when you start putting patches & upgrades on top of full installations, but that's the theory behind it.
user posted image