This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Advice please.. merge module or patch install?

2 replies to this topic

deskey

deskey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 17:17

Hi..

I'm tasked with making one of our driver sets capable of being added to a clients MSI installation.

The bulk of the work for "our install" is actually performed by a call to a DLL via a custom action. We have already completed most of the work to prove we can launch our install dll. As a stand-alone installation or as part of a merge-module this would be a sufficient solution.

The problem is that we release new versions of this driver set with additional features, bug fixes etc every couple months, as does our client with their parent installation.

I've discovered that if I change something in the merge module it won't merge.

Our driver files and install DLL are included in the binary table. the custom action dll extracts the files and installs them itself.

the only solution i can see so far is to delete the files from the binary table before performing the merge. I can't trust them to do this themselves.. lol

Whats the best way I can just give them a "new version" they can update their MSI project with?

Edited by deskey, 05 August 2004 - 18:41.

www.des.co.uk || www.deslock.com

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:31

I would give them a separate MSI setup that would do a major upgrade of the previous driver installation. Have them run this as a separate setup and not as a launch MSI custom action. Installshield X should have a view for "precondition" setups to install.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

deskey

deskey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:28

unfortunately i don't think that'll wash sad.gif

as it stands right now we already provide them with an installshield v6.xx object that does the work.

also, i'm not using installshield x for development, just Orca. the custom action DLL is written in C.

i've been looking at transforms it seems like they're close to what i need to do, but dont quite understand fully yet.
www.des.co.uk || www.deslock.com