This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Get list of files & registry entries that have been installed with

3 replies to this topic

Delirius

Delirius
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 23:13

Is there a way using DTF to get the list of files and registry entries that have been installed during the current msi session?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:34

Why not just log the installation? Google for 'msiexec command line switches'.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Delirius

Delirius
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 14:58

Thanks, I know about msi logging and the switches to do so, but this is not what is needed.

Our problem lies with minor updates and ActiveX components : if a given ActiveX DLL/OCX/EXE is updated via a minor update, some registry entries can be orphaned, causing double, triple, etc, entries.

Hence, during the execute phase of a minor update, I need to know which files are going to be updated in order to take care of the orphaned registry entries.

PLEASE CONSIDER: 

- We are aware this is not 100% compliant to msi rules, but this approach has been construed as the most feasible solution by both Microsoft and InstallShield, which we have consulted.

- Yes, a major update would work, but this is not convenient and management does not want it.

- No, we can't manually add the orphaned entries to the "RemoveRegistry" table (there is no automation to do so, and we don't know from what version we are upgrading)

Delirius

Delirius
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 16:22

Actually, if I could get a list of the registry entries being written in the WriteRegistryValues action, at run time during a minor upgrade, that would be the best.

Anyclues how to do this?