This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install at shutdown

1 reply to this topic

serega_mpa

serega_mpa
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 16:03

Hi, experts!

Give your answer for next question please. Can I create installer (using MSI and/or Win32 API) for some product, which can be installed during system shutdown (like windows updates).

Thanks in advance!

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:12

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had the answer the same day and was *sure* I'd posted it....evidently not!

I cannot imagine under what circumstances anyone would want to install stuff this way - it tends to be used for clean-up tasks and such - but what you have to do is add a shutdown script. The easiest way to do that is via Group Policy. Have no fear: this doesn't mean it can only happen in AD environments, nor that you have to get into Group Policy scripting (although that would be the neatest solution).

Have a play with GPEdit and then check out the results in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts (user scripts)

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts (machine scripts)

That will give you a clue as to what you need to add to the registry to accomplish what you want.

See this MS article for more details. For user-based scripts (!), change where the article says 'Computer Configuration' to 'User Configuration'.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.