This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installers for OEM versions

3 replies to this topic

PeterBoucher

PeterBoucher
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 19:55

I would rather not have to maintain 8 ISMs for 8 OEM installers, if I could just have one project that can be build 8 customized versions.

I could put tokens in the strings (e.g., CompanyNameHere, ProductNameHere, etc.), and then substitute stuff into the ISM and the RUL files, but then for localization, I have to get someone to translate the tokenizing process.

I could make a separate string table for each OEM version. Is there a way to suck the alternate string table in programatically at build time (as opposed to opening the project and importing a string table)? I don't see a way to do that with ISCmdBld.exe.

Help!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 20:01

Hi, I don't have time to answer this in detail, but using a combination of Installshield Developer 7, the string table in the installer project, release flags, localized graphics (support files), automatic builds using custom written tools and scripting we once delivered 3 different versions of an application in 4 different languages. This is definitely possible with 1 script, but requires good planning and up front testing. Be especially careful with your upgrade strategy, which products uninstall which other products? And where do they install? U need to write a requirements document and have that signed off by management to avoid getting requirements later that you can't accomodate. With their signoff on the original design you have something to come back with. Trust me: you DO want to write this requirements document.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

PeterBoucher

PeterBoucher
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 14:42

Thanks!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 23:21

Just a quick sample on how I'd format this requirements document:

* The setup script must be capable of producing different setups from the same Installshield script

* There will be three versions of the application: Enterprise, Business and Standard. Only one version of the application can be installed at one time. If the user starts installing the Enterprise edition while the Business edition is still installed, the Business edition will be removed and the Enterprise edition installed.

OR the other way around:

* It must be possible to install different versions of the application and have them installed at the same time. (if this is the requirement you will run into problems such as : which version adds file associations? the products must be installed to different folders to be isolated from each other. The application version should use a different section of the registry to store its values, etc... etc...).

So the advice is to write down your own set of requirements in bullet list format. Then give it to your manager and ask if it matches the requirements. If not, he will need to come back to you with changed requirements which then might change how you design your setup.

Sorry if this sounds very obvious, just trying to help you with a task I know is prone to a lot of difficulty because requirements aren't written down.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul