This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component Uninstall Problem

2 replies to this topic

Kannan

Kannan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:18

hi all
i am using installshield for windows installer.in my setup,i am using lot of components.some components INSTALLDIR set to SystemFolder.these components contains user written dlls and some dependency files needed for those dlls.while uninstalling the product those components files doesnot uninstalled.those files still exists in the user machine.components shared propety set to NO.
wthat is the problem.pl reply earliest.i am ruuning out of time.

80LPJ

80LPJ
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 17:26

We have the same problem.  

I'm using ISWI 2.03. When you install files in the system folder,  Windows Installer assumes that the files sent to the system folder are shared.  Even though you marked the features as not shared, not permanent, and not required, Windows Installer marks them as shared.  So, when you perform your install, Windows updates the reference count for that file in the shared dll key in the registry entry table.  

You can find that in registry entry table:
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Windows/Microsoft
/CurrentVersion/SharedDLLs

In here you will find all of your shared dll entries.

To fix your problem.  You want to uninstall your product and delete the specific entry to your file.  Your ref count is probably greater than 1. If it is, then your files will not get deleted.

Here's another buggy behavior,  when I do a clean install and clean uninstall, the files that I install in the system folder does not get deleted 50% of the time even though my ref count in the SharedDll entry for my system file is correct.  Very unpredictable (and crappy) behavior.

Let me know if you figure a way on how to cleanly uninstall the files, or if anyone is reading this, help us figure out a way so that the System files marked as not shared  remain installed as not shared.

80LPJ