This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install Problem

5 replies to this topic

thil43

thil43
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 16:50

Hello, I have version A installed on a machine. I then build version B in InstallShield (11 - premier, Basic MSI). When I install version B, without removing versionA, I was expecting to see only 1 entry in Add/Remove Programs (ARP), instead I see 2 entries. Also, some of the files' dates have changed, and I still see the older dated version of these files after installing version B.

I am changing the Product Code and Product Version in Product Properties. I thought this is what was needed for version B installation to remove older files, then add in the newer files.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tim

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 23:45

You also need to add an entry under Upgrades > Major Upgrade.
MSI doesn't update files based on date, only based on version. Are these versionless files?

thil43

thil43
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 13:13

That is also part of my problem, I have been trying to determine exactly what a versioned file means to IS. I'm not sure what makes a file a versioned file.

Thanks, Tim

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:52

It must be a P file (EXE, DLL, OCX etc.) with an embedded version resource.

thil43

thil43
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 13:28

Thanks again for the response Stefan.

I did discover that most of the P files you mention, in our case mostly .dll's and .exe's had a version in the files properties view. I the past however, I checked, and the version would always be blank.

After discussing with Macrovision (or ow Accreso), their suggestion was to edit the files in question to have "Always Overwrite" selected. I first cleared out the version, then selected the Always Overwrite check box.

This does work as advertised, but do you know of any precautions to doing this?

Thanks, Tim

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 17:07

"P" should have been "PE", sorry for the typo.

"always overwrite" will do exactly that. This means it might downgrade a newer file to an older version. It may also trigger auto-repair because there is no real "always overwrite" functionality in MSI. InstallShield uses a trick to do this: in the File table it specifies a very high version number for that file. So the file in your msi will always be a higher version than the file on the target. Even when Windows Installer performs an integrity check of the application files.