This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer - Preparing to install...

3 replies to this topic

esteevens

esteevens
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:31

Hello,

I have built a installshield developer 7.04 package (SP4 + Hotfix). If I install this package on my windows XP machine, the installation succeeds, but the application doesn't start properly because one of the COM objects isn't properly installed. When I start the application, the system comes up with "Windows Installer - Preparing to install..." and it starts re-installing stuff. After some time the application starts as it should. sad.gif

If I register the COM object manually then the application starts without this screen. I've tried removing the component and recreating a new one in Installshield developer, but this doesn't change anything. I've checked the MSI tables with the direct editor (and with ORCA), but I can't see anything wrong there.

So first question (1): Anyone who has suggestions about what is wrong here? And what I can do about it?

Since I've installed the package, some other (unrelated) applications on my machine also trigger the "Windows Installer - Preparing to install..." window.

So second question (2): How can i see what is triggering this window? I think it has to do with versions of certain files or COM objects, but I can't figure out which one. I've anabled the windows installer logging in the registry, but I don't see in the logfiles why the installation is triggered.

TIA,
Eddy

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 18:36

You should see entries in Windows' event log. If you enabled MSI logging, the log files should be in the TEMP folder.

esteevens

esteevens
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 22:22

OK thanks I didn't think about the event log blink.gif . In the eventlog I know can see which component triggers the re-installation.

One of them is a the COM object I mentioned first. A second one is an empty directory that isn't (properly) installed. A third one is related to common controls merge module.

So even when I use the merge modules to do it properly I can still get into this kind of trouble? unsure.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 11:23

If you're using a buggy merge module, yes. Or if your main setup, or some other setup, causes damage to what the merge module installed.