This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install for All Users

3 replies to this topic

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 00:10

Hi Everyone,
I am facing a difficulty and need your help. Here it is:
Using a administrator account I ran command Setup.exe /v"ALLUSERS=1" to install my product for all users, then I logged off and logged in as a normal user, I did see short cuts on the desktop. However, when I tried to run them, it asked me to find the temporary MSI to finish the install, and because this is a normal user account, I could not access administrator's directory where the temporary msi stays - c:\documents and settings\ABC\Local Settings\Temp. (Admin account is ABC)
Please help me how to do with it. Thank you very much!

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 00:12

Add one point, I am using InstallShield to make my install program. Thank you very much!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:44

Probably your setup creates some per-user entries, like registry entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER which are missing for the other users and therefore trigger the repair install. For some diagnostic advice see http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm

Also I'd recommend you cache the original install in a location that's readable for all users, just in case.

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:07

Yes, thanks. I solved this by using 1) cache msi to a public folder 2) using run-time path to execute msi