This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows File Protection

5 replies to this topic

Don Tasanasanta

Don Tasanasanta
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 00:47

i would like to know if there's a way to turn off Windows File Protection on DLL's that i install onto a Win2000 computer.
i'm looking to deposit the DLL's, and register them but then allow the user to delete, replace, change them whenever they want.

JoeF

JoeF
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 10:05

I don't believe it's possible to turn off Windows File Protection but I'm not sure that's what you really want anyway.

Windows File Protection applies only to "essential system files" that are considered to be part of the operating system itself. Such files can only be modified/replaced by official Windows service packs. Is this the type of file you're talking about? Or are you talking about DLLs that are part of your own product?

Joe.

Don Tasanasanta

Don Tasanasanta
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2001 - 00:55

From what i've expreienced so far, any DLL that i installed via windows installed get protected. if i go and delete a DLL installed via MSI, Windows Installer replaces it.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 April 2001 - 16:44

This is not Windows File Protection (WFP would prevent you from overwriting existing system files). It is the auto-repair feature of Windows Installer. It automatically reinstalls missing files.

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 April 2001 - 14:16

Stefan,
Do you you know any way to improve the auto-repair feature to launch automatically?
There are lots of questions about this in the forum, but no good answer.
Thanks.