This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dialog controls do not have XP styles

6 replies to this topic

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 16:17

Hi there,

I have here a Basic MSI Install Shield project in which I have a custom dialog (standard interior dialog with Back, Next and Cancel buttons ). This dialog contains some controls like combo box edit lines etc.

The problem is that on Windows XP for buttons, check boxes and comboboxes I see the XP style but for edit lines I see the old Windows 2000 style.

Any ideas how to get the new XP style for edit lines? It looks ugly with mixed styles.

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:32

What's the difference in style for edit boxes in Windows 2000 and Windows XP?

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:02

I noticed the same thing - no Windows XP Theme support for edit and scrollable edit controls. Other controls supporting Windows XP themes include list boxes, list views and progress bars.

Actually a software publisher can state which controls get a Windows XP theme layout, and which controls don't. I have no idea why these controls were left out.

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:59

Yes, the problem is that there is no support for Windows XP Theme for edit controls.
I see the combo boxes and buttons with XP Theme and the edit lines with Windows 2000 "theme".

The "code" inside MSI Install Shield project is the same on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 15:38

It's the Windows Installer service (Msiexec) that, for some reason, reduced theme support for edit controls. It's not InstallShield, actually they don't support themes at all (at least IS 11 doesn't).

I have no idea why Microsoft reduced theme support. I know it's possible, at a previous project theme were introduced with a side effect: tabpage controls started misbehaving, which was solved by turning theme support off.
I assume Msiexec had a similar problem with edit controls.

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 15:00

Hi There,

How did you turn theme support off? After that, all the controls (including "Back", "Next" and "Cancel" buttons) in that dialog have the old Windows 2000 style?

Dorel Sturm

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 23:57

If you know their handles, you could call SetWindowTheme()
I never tried such stuff in the installer: I just needed this function in software I once made, where a page control produced unwanted results.

Look at
http://msdn.microsof...windowtheme.asp
and start from there...