This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install Dependency in MSP

4 replies to this topic

subodh_jai

subodh_jai
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:19

Is there any way to set install depedency for two msp patches, as patch 2 will only be installed if patch 1 is installed.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 15:09

If patch 2 requires patch 1 you could handle this with version numbers: patch 1 would increment the version (i.e. Minor Update) and patch 2 would target only that version.

subodh_jai

subodh_jai
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 18:36

Thanks Stefan.

eleoki

eleoki
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 14:46

Hello, Stefan.

Could you please tell me will your advice work in case of administrative package?

You see I need to generate an msi-package which must include distributive and number of patches.

And I need to be sure that there will be now installation of patches which require other patches, not included in the package.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:13

I think it should also work with administrative images, but it's not recommended. See MSI documentation topic "Windows Installer Best Practices", section "Avoid patching administrative installations", and topic "Patch Packages":
Users can install applications and updates from a network administrative image. Although patch packages can be applied to administrative installations, the recommended method to deliver updates is to have users install the original application and then apply the patches to the local instance of the application on to their computer. This keep users in synchronization with the administrative image. If a patch is applied to the administrative installation, all clients of that administrative installation must recache and reinstall the application to receive the update. Until a user recaches and reinstalls, the user is unable to install-on-demand and repair installations from the patched administrative installation.