This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Same GUID's for Major release causing sms woes(

2 replies to this topic

kduffy9

kduffy9
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:58

All, I'm still somewhat a novice here and am looking for a few answers. Any help is appreciated.)

I currently have two products out and being used in a networked environment. Release 3.0 differs from 3.1 but has the same GUID. The problem that I have is that as IT has already rolled out a good number of systems with 3.1. Currently they need to uninstall 3.0 in order for 3.1 to install as you recieve the remove first message due to my amateur installer.) With this in mind they are running sms to send out a call to uninstall the previous version using the GUID. I'm sure you can see where my problem comes in. The uninstallation will also pull all 3.1 installs aswell. Is there a workaround to this problem? Any way of updating the GUID on the new releases?

Thanks again,

K

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:27

You can accomplish this in two ways: 1) use a major upgrade. 2) use a minor upgrade. See details below:

1) for a major upgrade to work the previous version must have an UPGRADECODE defined. If it doesn't you can't use it. You should ALWAYS define an UPGRADECODE for any setup.

2) Use a minor upgrade. This should work provided that the first setup is well-authored. What you need to do is to set the REINSTALLMODE property correctly for the setup so that it re-caches the new MSI database. See here: http://forum.install...indpost&p=25628
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:29

One more thing: If you change the product code for the new version you will either have to use a major upgrade, or two versions of your application will show up in add/remove (and two versions will be installed at the same time, sharing a lot of components - not conceptually clean).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul