This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

I have a problem with windows installer

3 replies to this topic

007craft

007craft
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:28

im running xp pro installer version 2.0 and everytime I go to install a program iwindows installer starts for 5 seconds or so then shuts down with no error messages or anything. This is preventing me from installing a whole bunch of things including service pack 1. Any help please?

Balachandar

Balachandar
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:36

Hi, When Installer kicks off, There is an application log created in your event viewer. It can be found in ControlPanel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Event Viewer->Application.

Please have a look at "what it says". It could be the "permissions to install" or whatever.

Cheers.

007craft

007craft
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 14:46

under appllications i do not get any errors however under system I seem to have gotten many Errors. these include

Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied.

and

The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
Access is denied.

Perhaps i have a required service not set to automatic or I have disabled a service that windows installer needs to run? btw I have windows installer and RPC services running.

Balachandar

Balachandar
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 16:00

I am really sure what could be wrong. But here is something to look at for "Permissions" regarding Installer.

In your Start->Run, Type "gpedit.msc". It opens Group policy. Go to "Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Installer".

Click "Disable Windows Installer" and see if there are any policies set for Installer.

Also Try to log the details when starting the installation. It could saay something.

Msiexec /I <name.msi> /Lv* <mylog.txt>

The mylog.txt file could say something.