This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

remote shortcuts

1 reply to this topic

BRY

BRY
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 10:45

I know that this probably isn't the best way to do what I want, but it has been requested to work this way:

My users want to be able to run my install on a "server" (server in name only) machine.
Then on another machine on the network, run an install that creates shortcuts, registry settings, environment variables pointing to the server computer.

I can read the registry of the server comnputer, and find out where my product has been installed on it.
In my second installation, I make the "INSTALLDIR" folder equal to that location. So, INSTALLDIR comes out to something like:
"\\server\I$\MyFolder\"

That's fine.
When I create a shortcut in the IDE, and set its target to be "[INSTALLDIR]MyApp.exe", then it points to the correct file, however, the working folder points to somewhere on the local computer, instead of the server. I am specifying "[INSTALLDIR]" as the working folder.

Why does the install make a difference between these two?

Can anyone help/suggest alternative ways?

I have to make this a seperate install, because the main installation has already been released.

Thanks,
Bryan Dickson
[br]Senior Software Engineer
[br]Fugro-UDI Limited

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 12:30

It seems to me.

Server Install is done with the built in admin install functionality.

Client install is done from this image.  If you use favour source options for the feature then the files will not be copied from the server.

I have never ever used INSTALLDIR in an msi installation it is not useful.  If you want a path to a file use something like [#F1234_FileKey.exe].  If you want a directory for a component use [$ComponentKey].  This generates correct paths to files even if they are not at the assumed INSTALLDIR.
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)