This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer hangs

9 replies to this topic

ewolfman

ewolfman
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:05

Hi there,

I hope that someone could help out -

I have a problem with Windows Installer - when installing, the installer seems to hang, and after 5 to 10 minutes of wait, the installation finally starts and continues "normally", like on other "regular" machines.

Actually, this Google Groups post describes the exact 2 problems that I have on my machine. One of the is related to the Windows Installer - if anyone can help out with either problems - that could be great.

Thanks in advance !

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:01

Looks like Windows Instalelr is trying to access the network. Setup may be searching all drives for a file, which might include the network. A log file might reveal additional information (msiexec /i your.msi /L*v C:\log.log)

ewolfman

ewolfman
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 15:56

ok. I attached a log file of such an installation. Can anyone please help out ?

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   13.69KB   68 downloads

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 18:28

This is a log of the UNinstall of MSI Cleanup Utility. I don't see a delay at the start, but at the end:
At 16:41:46 the execute sequence has finished installing and is switching back to the UI sequence.
It immediately displayed the Exit dialog, which stayed on screen until 16:52:56. Did you have wait 11 minutes before being able to click the Finish button?

ewolfman

ewolfman
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:35

I don't think so.

I've probably done something else at the time and didn't notice it finished the setup.

So what else could cause this ? I realize that the log doesn't show of a particular "stop" in between installation steps, but the fact still remains that it takes me quite a while to process installations and removals.

ewolfman

ewolfman
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:51

BTW: I've already tried unplugging the network cable while installing - it still takes a while.

ewolfman

ewolfman
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:01

help, anyone ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:34

out of ideas, sorry

ewolfman

ewolfman
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 14:26

Problem solved.

My account was defined in an old domain which is probably not trusted. A newly created account in a "more common" domain did the trick.

alico

alico
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:45

I've EXACTLY same problem in server computer. But, it does not go "after a while".