This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

NT vs Win2k Registration Differences

2 replies to this topic

Brian Elliott

Brian Elliott
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 23:04

Using ISWI 2.03 - I've got an installation that installs an EXE and a handful of DLL's on a server (com objects one and all).  The client uses DCOM to instantiate these guys and do stuff.
I have the COM components set to "extract at build" and the installation runs perfectly on NT 4.0.  I get a set of COM registry entries in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes.  Since we use DCOM security it uses a configured user to launch the server process which picks up the HKLM class ids and like I said, runs great.  
Now the problem.  On windows 2k it puts the HKClasses_root entries, but dumps another set of the entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER (instead of LOCAL_MACHINE) which means that the user DCOM uses has to be logged into the server for clients to work (this is obviously not a good solution).  

The product is set to allusers (never even asks them).  So I was wondering if anyone has seen this behavior and if they could point me at a solution (besides manually putting the entries into the advanced setting) - we do daily builds and this would be a maintenance nightmare.

Thanks,
Brian Elliott

Brian Elliott

Brian Elliott
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 21:42

Well I found the solution.  There is a property called "ALLUSERS" that is not in the Property listing by default - I believe it might be set by a dialog in the default sequence (the one which asks: Install this application for all users or for the current logged on user.)  Anyways, since these objects where purely for DCOM usage I removed that dialog from the sequence and although NT 4.0 worked fine, 2000 picked up on the ALLUSERS being NULL and decided that the install level should be Current User only and put the registry information into the wrong Hive.

BTW there is a property named "ApplicationUsers" that has "allusers" - but that isn't what ISWI looks at when determining who to register the components.

Hope this helps anyone else who has encountered this problem.
Brian

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 09:00

You are right, the ALLUSERS property is set by the customer information dialog. If you don't have that dialog, set it in property table.
The ApplicationUsers property just specified the default selection for the radio button on that dialog. Clicking the Next button would set the ALLUSERS property according to the selection.