This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Security Settings Install Directory

7 replies to this topic

Balu

Balu
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 15:00

After the installation of our produkt the install directory is only writable for administrators. What do we have to change in our installation to make it writable for all users (everyone, world)? Someone noticed this problem? Help would be very appreciated.

ranjit

ranjit
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 16:45

I think you have a component associated with the directory that is being created. Goto the components view of this component and look at the components property sheet. In this sheet the first property is "Destination" then right below it will be the Destination Permissions, click on the eclipse and you will be presented with a permissions window.Leave blank in the domain window and in the user window type Everyone and then set the required permissions in the grid provided below in the property window.
I am hoping that this would be ssame for both Basic MSI and Standered projects.

Hope this helps

Ranjit Bendapudi

Balu

Balu
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:11

Thank you very much, Ranjit!! smile.gif
Meanwhile I found an equivalent solution by a direct access of the MSI tables:

CODE

LockPermissions
================
LockObject   Table              Domain  User                  Permission
INSTALLDIR  CreateFolder                Administrators  268435456 (GENERIC_ALL)
INSTALLDIR  CreateFolder                Everyone          268435456 (GENERIC_ALL)

CreateFolder
================
Directory_     Component_
INSTALLDIR   Component.exe

Again, thank you very much for your help, Ranjit!!

Raimund Mettendorf (QIAGEN GmbH)

happy

happy
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 14:33

smile.gif Well this information also helped me but how do i inherit the permissions of the parent folder to the child folders.Because i tried assigning the permissions to the INSTALLDIR, but the same permissions were not applied to the sub-folders.

anjalai

anjalai
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 16:25

Hi Ranjit and Balu,
I am using Installshield Professional 6.3, is there a way to implement the above functions using 6.3, since I don't see the Lock Permissions facility in 6.3.
Thnaks for your help.
I tried to use the SetFileInfo, and IS functions, but I am looking is there any I can check the type of the user who is instalaing and then set the permissions of the file.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:24

Professional 6 is using a completely different technology and has no built in support for setting permissions. You could run the cacls command line tool to set the permissions.

anjalai

anjalai
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 21:27

Hi stephen,
I tried touse the NTFS_Fix module from the installsite, but th eIS complains all the time that there is an unexpected end of source or an invalid end statement.
All I am doing is just place the following code

if(SYSINFO.WINNT.bWin2000) then // only on Windows 2000
szCmd = WINSYSDIR ^ "cmd.exe";
szCmdArgs = "/c cacls \"" + TARGETDIR + "\" /T /E /G Everyone:F";

LaunchAppAndWait(szCmd, szCmdArgs, WAIT);

in the ONUIBefore event handler and decalred the SZCMD and SZCmdArgs variables, it gives error that there is unexpected end of source file.
Please let me know how to start.
Thanks
A

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:24

You want to do this in OnMoved for instance. During the *Before events, TARGETDIR as not been created.