This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

transform files embeded in a package

4 replies to this topic

jamsek19

jamsek19
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 14:07

Hello.
I have a regular and simple installation .msi package file in English language.
My job is to update it to support of multiple languages therefore I embedded multiple different languages transforms into main .msi file.

My question: is it possible to see which transforms are embedded in a main .msi file using Orca or similar tools? And if it is possible, how can I programmaticly change one property value (more exactly: one localized string of dialog title), which is set in a transform file?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Andreo

Andreo

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:03

Hi Andreo,

it is not possible to change an existing transform; you must create a new transform to change the title of the dialog. It is also possible to create a 2nd transform with the new title and apply these after the old transform.

To see which transforms are embedded into one msi, use the script wisubstg.vbs, which is included in the msi sdk or windows sdk. You'll find the script at %programFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Samples\sysmgmt\msi\scripts.

HTH

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

jamsek19

jamsek19
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:02

Thanks for reply.
I have another question: how and where exactly is a transform stored if transform is embedded in a .msi package?

Thanks in advance.
Andreo
Andreo

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 17:15

You're welcome wink.gif
A transform is stored as a substorage. Look here: http://www.installsi...dlang/index.htm

LG

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

jamsek19

jamsek19
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:41

Thank you for replay.
I saw mentioned page before and that's works just fine for me. I use that procedure.

Actually I'm creating a .msi package with Wix utility. To make a transform file I use Wix tool torch.exe.

So my procedure is:
1. compiling source code
2. linking as many times as I have different languages
3. creating transforms
4. embedding transforms into main .msi package
5. update language information in Summary information of main .msi package.

Point 2 and 3 takes pretty long specially because transforms differ only in few strings and language code.

Well, I didn't understand how transforms works wink.gif and therefore I was searching to do my job faster. I was investigating how to do some kind of hack to make all my transforms faster. In vain... sad.gif

Thanks again for info.

Best regards
Andreo

Andreo